The Front Room
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
Name: Katie & Tristan Hope
Action to Date:
- Swapped to glass bottles for drinks
- Incentivising KeepCup use by offering 4 free coffees on purchase and discount on refills
- Linked up with Jordans Cafe to reuse their spare ice cream tubs for storing food
- Plastic crates from deliveries are reused by local schools, craft groups, gardeners and charities
- Condiments are bought in big containers and decanted into smaller ones
- Straws on request only
- Running down stock of individually wrapped biscuits and looking for replacements or will start making their own.
“Straws have been a big thing for us. After noticing that people were more conscious about getting served a straw with their drink, we swapped to biodegradable ones and actually now only give them out if people ask.
“We were quite intrigued about how they would actually break down so took a couple home for the compost bin. Thankfully they did start to disintegrate after a couple of weeks so we can confirm that they are definitely biodegradable.
“It’s been great to be part of something that benefits the community, future generations and the environment. Being so close to the sea makes it even more important as you can see the direct impact all this unnecessary plastic is having on marine life.”
Find out more: