ABOUT THE BUSINESS
Name: Fenny Potts, owner
Actions To Date:
- Switched to a hair care brand which only uses glass, aluminium or paper packaging. All of which is recycled and recyclable.
- Paper bags for customers to take products away
- Running down plastic bottles that are left in stock.
- Encourage staff behaviour by asking them to use refill water bottles and coffee cups
- Biodegradable towels for work with dyes
- Reusable glasses and cups for refreshments
- Biscuit tin instead of individually wrapped biscuits
- Recycle as much waste as possible
- Looking at wet wipe use
“Some things are really hard to get around because we work with a lot of dye, for example the plastic disposable capes and the colour removing wipes. But we don’t use them unless we have to and hopefully someone will come up with a solution. Switching products has been more expensive, but they are better quality products … and if we’re doing this, that’s one salon less using so much plastic. That’s what’s important to me.
“I’m not super young, there are people a lot younger than me, but if everyone continues as they have been it’s going to be a pretty crummy situation in 20 years or so. I think you have to be accountable for what you’re doing. It’s the little things that add up and it’s important to me to be making a difference rather than burying my head in the sand … surround by plastic!”